Teens are under a lot of pressure, and it’s easy for their peers, teachers, parents and siblings to erode a teen’s self-confidence and self-esteem with unrealistic expectations, thoughtless comments and conflicting messages.
Every teen can benefit from a healthy dose of self-love every day, through excellent self-care, being true to their values, and using the following affirmations to create the self-talk that will help them cope with situations and behaviors of others that could cause a drop in the teen’s self-esteem and possibly lead to self-defeating behaviors.
How to Use Affirmations
Just like negative self-talk, positive affirmations will “stick” with repetition.
The best time to use them is very first thing in the morning, and very last thing at night. A great time is in the shower, if you don’t have the luxury of lying in bed for a few minutes (hey, I know what it was like, I was a teen once too!).
Choose one, two or at most three affirmations at a time, customize them so that they sound like you talking, (make them easy to “roll off the tongue”), and repeat them with a big smile on your face, either aloud or silently, for at least 5 minutes at a time.
Of course you can say them anytime you like – when you’re doing something repetitive that doesn’t require a lot of mental bandwidth.
The more you say them, the better.
The key is to stick with saying an affirmation until it FEELS natural and normal to think this way.
In the beginning you might feel some resistance to the statements, as though they are not true or don’t apply to you.
However, with repetition they will be true and normal for you… after all this is the very same process that you used when you started to believe negative things someone may have said about you, or statements about yourself that you made (after a failure, for example).
So trust in the process, say them with a smile on your face (important) and practice ’til they’re a part of you!
50 Affirmations for Self-Esteem
1. The more I like myself, the more others will like me.
2. I am becoming better with each day.
3. I am happy to be here.
4. I have people who care about me and will help me if I need it.
5. I will ask for help if I need it.
6. I am always learning more about who I am and what matters to me.
7. I understand that my actions become habits so I will try to do the right thing.
8. I love and respect my family for all they do for me.
9. I am an intelligent being, but I don’t know everything.
10. I am proud to represent the values that matter to me and my community.
11. I love myself.
12. I feel lucky to have the opportunities that I do.
13. My dreams are achievable.
14. The only people who may judging me are the people who are most afraid of being judged.
15. In 5 years it is not going to matter what I wore today.
16. In 15 years the only thing that will remain is what I have learned.
17. My first love will probably not be my only love, and I’m ok with that.
18. People can be mean, but it only reflects the kind of person they are.
19. I am happy. Who else am I trying to please?
20. I accept and love the way I look without comparing myself to others.
21. A six-pack does not need to be standard. In either form.
22. I am completely unique and therefore, there are no rules to what I am and am not.
23. I give myself permission to do what is best for me.
24. I admit that I may not always know what is best for me, so I am open to advice from people who I respect.
25. I do not need drugs or alcohol to have fun.
26. I do not need to share every personal detail with my entire social network.
27. I am responsible with my technology.
28. My opinion matters.
29. I acknowledge that sometimes it is not appropriate to voice my opinion.
30. I care about what is going on in the world.
31. I can say no, and no will mean no.
32. I stand up for myself because I matter.
33. I love myself unconditionally.
34. I see the beauty in stopping to appreciate my blessings.
35. I am not in a race, there is plenty of time.
36. Reputation is important, but it is not defining.
37. My friends are not always right.
38. I am not lost, I’m still creating myself.
39. When there is a bump in the road, I keep going.
40. If someone is trying to bring me down, it means I am above them.
41. I have all the tools to be successful.
42. Though times may be difficult, they will eventually get better.
43. I do not regret yesterday and I am excited for tomorrow.
44. This is only the beginning.
45. I will do better next time.
46. I haven’t even seen what I am capable of yet.
47. I will savor my youth
48. I do not wish for age but instead experiences and knowledge.
49. I will do today what I will appreciate tomorrow.
50. I begin my day by affirming the positive and end my day with gratitude.