What’s Your Passion?
There’s something about the question, “What are you passionate about?” that turns most of us into bumbling fools, failing to make coherent sentences.
The question shoots straight into the depths of our desires and asks us to be completely vulnerable — almost naked. For many, it’s definitely a question they dread to answer. Opting instead, to live a life of complacency, following blindly behind. Without a doubt, it’s a difficult question to answer.
But by the grace of nature, we are alive today, in the century of abundance.
Which means, we have the opportunity to entertain our passions. Gone are the days when all that’s expected of us are to become mindless corporation cogs.
It’s become ever more possible today to become a veterinarian, self-published writer, hip-hop breakdancer, opera singer and online entrepreneur all at once. So asking ourselves “What’s my passion?” becomes frustrating because we’ve become torn by the multitude of choices we are now spoiled with.
Like many, Janet Attwood applied for a job she has absolutely no passion for. To everyone’s surprise except hers, she hardly performed her best at her job even though she excelled at her interview.
That’s because it wasn’t her passion that drove her when she signed up for the job - it was the promise of money. What she learned from then on was that money was definitely not enough, nor a good enough reason to dedicate your life to something.
This is when she began asking herself one very simple question, that has snow balled into one of the most effective personal development tool to date, “Which feels better…?”
The Passion Test
“Don’t worry about what the world needs.
Ask what makes you come alive and do that,
because what the world needs is people who have come alive.”
– Howard Thurman
This talk, filmed at Mindvalley A-Fest Mexico 2016, was designed as a facilitation for everyone looking to discover their passion.
Here are the highlights from the 51-minute video:
- (02:36) — Janet found out about a survey asking successful people about their passion, which eventually led to the creation of The Passion Test;
- (05:35) — Get your pen and paper ready as Janet takes you onboard the passion exercise to help you understand yourself better;
- (07:00) — Listen carefully to Janet’s words when she tells you about the one thing you’ll have to realize when understanding your passion: You meet no one but yourself;
- (10:43) — When writing your passion, clarity is power. Watch this part as Janet shows you how to tap into your child-like mind;
- (14:55) — When you’re ready, jump to this minute to take the passion test with Janet;
- (39:10) — Find out how you can raise your passion scores between a scale of 0 to 10, and remember to always choose in favor of what excites you the most.
When in doubt, remember this powerful quote from Janet’s talk:
Who I am matters and what I care about matters.
The process to self-love is incredible.
Every moment matters.
We don't go backwards, we only go forwards."
– Janet Attwood
You have what it takes to create an impact and positive change in the world. Join other brilliant minds at Mindvalley A-Fest and learn how you can take your life's purpose to the next level.
Are you on your way to find your passion? We’d love to know which feels better for you. Share your experience with us in the comments section.